Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tonight We Dine in HELL...On Monkey Brains

Here are some photos of a couple drawings I did this past weekend at Mid-Ohio. I had a lot of fun with both of these. Was a little nervous about doing an Indiana Jones piece but I think it turned out all right--I don't think I brought any shame to the franchise...I'll leave that to the professionals.

On a completely unrelated note: I've recently become obsessed with the TV show "Journeyman". In my opinion, it's the best new show of the season. Maybe even the best on TV right now. I'm telling you this because although it's ratings are slowly moving up, the show still hovers on the edge of cancellation. I had no interest in this show when I first saw the early promos and did not plan on watching it (even though it does star Kevin McKidd/Lucius Vorenus from "Rome"). To me the show looked like a rip-off of Quantum Leap. Then, one week, I left the TV on after Heroes and ended up catching the second episode. I was surprised--it actually wasn't that bad. Still seemed like a bit of a weekly formula show, but at least it was a well written, well acted version of one. So I let myself watch it again the next week. After the first few episodes this show revealed itself to be much more than I had thought at first. By the fourth episode you'll be hooked. There is a really interesting mythology being built on the show and the writing is never cheap or not well thought through. Little things that seem incidental in one episode will have impact in later episodes. Things have consequences. That seems obvious but so many shows reboot every episode to the status quo. This show keeps growing and is exciting in the way that only Lost is to me. It keeps you guessing about what's going to happen and about all the possibilities the concept offers. Anyway, I'm really going on here. Just trying to spread the word. To give you an idea where I'm coming from, what my tastes are, here's a list of some other TV hour-longs I heart: House, Friday Night Lights, Pushing Daisies, Lost, Heroes (not so much this season), The Closer, and Life.
So watch it if you can (if there is any way I highly recommend starting at the beginning) and if nothing else check it out on dvd.
I'll now step down from my soapbox.

1 comment:

Craig Zablo said...

Love 'em both!